- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (118)
- ► 2010 (228)
- Shipping industry crashes into the rocks
- Opinion: The failed running the failed
- Shareholder activism in Japan... or lack there of
- Newbie thoughts: Know your circle of competence
- The price you pay for emerging markets
- Is China going to face serious problems within a f...
- Ambac very close to being seized by the regulator
- Are bubbles building in China?
- Are long-short strategies and market neutral strat...
- Opinion: Unregulated derivatives pose a grave thre...
- Should we favour those who hold high amounts of ca...
- Sunday Spectacle XIX
- Innovative ideas are rare... Is that really so?
- More thoughts on Hugh Hendry & Eclectica; A quick ...
- Thoughts on Hugh Hendry
- Charlie Gasparino of CNBC disses Tyler Durden of Z...
- Bank of Canada: Recession over
- Asian governments having difficulties issuing bond...
- How good is Seth Klarman?
- Did you pass value investing school?
- Marc Faber interview with Newsmax.TV
- Opinion: Current view of the market
- How good are the American bank earnings?
- A very thin line between greed and patience
- One should always have a strategy regarding the cu...
- Intel planning to issue debt to buy back shares - ...
- Everyone needs to know the game they are playing -...
- Yonge-Bloor condo project in Toronto blows up...st...
- Mark Mobius: China's stock market may surpass US m...
- Sunday Spectacle XVIII
- It's been two years...
- Some useful websites for select data
- Spectacular rally today
- China accuses Rio Tinto of serious and wide-rangin...
- Reader question: Does gold ever beat stocks over l...
- GE Capital & CIT
- NYSE Euronext not happy with prison consulting fir...
- Sold: Mathstar (PK: MATH)
- Mathstar shareholders vote against liquidation... ...
- Answer to reader question - Marc Faber
- Long-term investors vs Short-term ones
- Sunday Spectacle XVII
- GM emerges from bankruptcy
- A look at the global meltdown
- I found a deflationist... Hugh Hendry of Eclectica...
- The fall of the Baltics
- Crazy events in China
- Advisor Perspectives interviews Martin Whitman
- Were institutional investors swimming naked? The H...
- Four scariest words for bulls: "Correlations at Al...
- The surprise of the year to me is... gold
- Some flaws with Japanese REITs
- Sunday Spectacle XVI
- Mathstar shareholders to vote on liquidation
- Seth Klarman March 2009 Ivey/UWO Interview
- A very preliminary look at Clarus (PK: CLRS)
- What is the best organizational structure?
- "Private equity put" dissapears
- ▼ July (58)
- ► 2008 (517)
Popular Posts (last 30 days)
( update Mar 5: Replaced the video with the list version which lists all the videos and added a URL link in case embedded video doesn't...
American Consumer Debt Since consumer spending is a huge driver of American GDP (almost 70% of GDP), it's a big deal for any inves...
I don't really agree with many of Charlie Munger's political, and some business and economic, views, but the thing I love about him ...
2016 You Say? Last time I did a recap, which is sort of when I stopped blogging and seriously investing, was in 2011. Seems like a long ...
The Virgin America-Alaska Airlines merger closed successfully and I was cashed out on December 16th. This is one of those deals that seemed ...
abitibi (ABY/A.TO) AbitibiBowater (ABH) ABN-Amro (ABN) Addax Petroleum (TSX: AXC) Africa Aggreko (LSE: AGK) agriculture AIG Alliance Semiconductor (PK: ALSC) alternative assets Amazon (AMZN) Ambac (ABK) Anadarko Petroleum (APC) Andy Xie Apple (AAPL) Asia Aspen Exploration (OTC: ASPN) Atlas Mara (LSE: ATMA) Australia and New Zealand Bank of America Barnes and Noble (BKS) Bear Stearns (BSC) Beazer Homes (BZH) Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) ben Benjamin Graham Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) Bill Miller Bitcoin bonds and credit instruments book industry BOOK SUMMARY BP brands Brazil Britain BRK.B) Bruce Berkowitz Bruce Greenwald business analysis business culture BYD (HK: 1211) Cal-Maine (CALM) Canada capitalism career celestica (CLS) Charles Brandes Charles de Vaulx Charlie Munger Chesapeake (CHK) China Chris Anderson Clarus (PK: CLRS) Comdisco (OTC: CDCO) commentary commodities communications Compass Minerals (CMP) contrarian corporate accounting corporate governance corporate law corporate strategy crime currencies cyclicals David Einhorn David Rosenberg Dean Foods (DF) deflation delta financial (DFC) demographics Diagoe (DEO) digital economy dividends Don Coxe Dubai Dynegy (DYN) Eastman Kodak (EK) economics econopolitics education Edward Lampert electric vehicles emerging markets En Pointe Technologies (ENPT) energy Energy East (EAS) Enron entrepreneurship Europe executive compensation Expedia (EXPE) Facebook (FB) fair-value accounting financials Fitbit (FIT) Fording Canadian Coal Trust (FDG; TSX: FDG.UN) forestry Foundry (FDRY) Francis Chou fundamental analysis Gary Shilling GenOn (GEN) Geoff Gannon George Soros global Globaltrans (LSE: GLTR) gold Goldman Sachs Google government Great Depression great investors guest-tek (GTK.TO) harmony (HMY) healthcare hedge funds Howard Marks Hugh Hendry humour Icahn Enterprises (IEP) Iceland India Ingram Micro (IM) insightful institutional investing interesting investing track record investment evaluation investment plan investment psychology investment strategy Jaclyn (JLN) Jae Jun James Montier Jamie Dimon Japan Jared Diamond jds uniphase (JDSU; JDS.TO) Jean-Marie Eveillard Jeremy Grantham Jim Chanos Jim Grant Jim Rogers John Hussman John Mauldin John Paulson John Templeton Kanaden (8081) Kenneth Cole Productions (KCP) Keyence (6861) Khan Resources (KRI.TO) Krishnamurthy 'Nandu' Narayanan Latin America Lehman Brothers Lexmark (LXK) Li Lu liquidation Live Nation (LYV) Lloyd Blankfein Louis-Vincent Gave Magic Software (MGIC) Malcolm Gladwell management Manitoba Telecom Services (TSX: MBT) Marc Faber Mark Zuckerberg market valuation marketing Martin Whitman Mathstar (PK: MATH) Matt Levine MBIA (MBI) media Mega Brands (TSX: MB) menu mergers and acquisitions Michael Lewis Michael Pettis Miscellaneous mobile devices Mohnish Pabrai monoline bond insurers Monsanto (MON) Montpelier Re (MRH) Motors Liquidation Trust (MTLQU) name Nassim Nicholas Taleb Netflix (NFLX) new york times (NYT) Newbie Thoughts newspapers newsprint Nokia (NOK) North Korea opinion origin owens corning (OC; OCWAZ.PK) Paul Desmaris Paul Krugman Penn National Gaming (PENN) personal finance Peter Thiel Phil Falcone politics portfolio performance portfolio transactions Prem Watsa Priszm Income Fund (TSX: QSR.UN) private equity Puget Energy (PSD) Pulte Homes (PHM; PHA) Raj Rajaratnam's Galleon Ray Dalio real estate Reed Hastings reference retail industry revlon (REV) Richard Branson Robert Prechter Russell Napier Russia Sam Zell Sears Holdings (SHLD) Seiko (TSE: 8580) Seth Klarman shareholder rights shoe pavilion (SHOE) social media Southwestern (SWG.TO) spectrum brands (SPC) sports Sprott Molybdenum (TSX: MLY) St. Joe Company (JOE) Staples (SPLS) Stephen Jarislowsky Stephen Roach Steve Jobs Sunday Spectacle Suruga (1880) Syngenta (SYT) Takefuji (8564) Talisman Energy (TLM) tax tech cyclicals technology Ted Turner The Year That Was Thornburg Mortgage (TMA; TMA-E) Tim McElvaine timber Todd Combs Toronto TorStar (TS.B) tourism Toyota Industries (6201) traders transportation Tribune (TRB) turtle Turtle Awards useful USG (USG) Verenex Energy (TSX: VNX) Virgin America (VA) Walter Schloss Warren Buffett watch list actions WikiLeaks William Ackman year-end review yen carry-trade
About This Blog
An investment blog chronicling a slow-moving turtle's attempt at gaining financial independence. Mostly contrarian investing with value-investing tilt and influenced by macroeconomics. Feel free to visit my non-investment blog describing my life and thoughts.
- Sivaram Velauthapillai