Distress Investing Article by Martin Whitman

Thanks to some poster on a forum post on gurufocus.com, I ran across this old article by Martin Whitman on distress investing: An Introduction to Distress Investing by Martin Whitman, 2002 (jump to the page numbered 3; or page 6 of the PDF). Since I'm trying to hone my contrarian skills (the verdict is still out on that :) ), distress investing is attractive to me. However, it is hard for small investors since equity generally gets wiped out and you have little say or resources at your disposal to challenge anything the company does. Nevertheless, it is a part of the investment world that is often ignored due to its complexity and danger.


Bond Insurance Article

On another note, Joe Mysak of Bloomberg thinks that bond insurers may be the big buys next year for the "brave" :) . I think it's nothing new for anyone that is bullish on the bond insuers and have been following them; but others may get a good quick bullish overview of the situation.

The Tribune deal closed (good luck to Tribune and Sam Zell) and I received my money, so I'm just bidding time waiting for a good entry point into Ambac (ABK).

Comments

Popular Posts

Thoughts on the stock market - March 2020

Warren Buffett's Evolution and his Three Investment Styles

Charlie Munger: Stock market as a pari-mutuel betting system