- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (118)
- ► 2010 (228)
- ► 2009 (503)
- Some Slides From Grant's Fall 2008 Investment Conf...
- Random Articles For The Day
- Federal Reserve Cuts Rates to 1%
- Canada's Tax-Free Savings Account
- Risk Arbitrage Thoughts: BCE, Huntsman, Q9 Network...
- Talk About Short-Covering
- Random Articles For A Monday
- A Sign Of New Entrants To The Global Capitalist Sy...
- A Bear Turns Bullish (Sort Of)
- Random Articles For The Day
- Montpelier Re Reports 3Q 2008 Results
- China's Real Estate Bubble Finally Bursts
- Jim Rogers Interview on CNBC Europe; Plus My Thoug...
- CNBC Interview with Martin Whitman, Jean-Marie Eve...
- Currencies Can Make Or Break Risk Arbitrage
- Added to position: Puget Energy (PSD)
- This Is More Than A Housing Bust...But Good Time T...
- Ambac CEO Replaced
- Dividend Investors Hit Hard
- Gross Abuse of Property Rights In Argentina
- Iceland...An example of the unfolding shift to the...
- An example of high probability, low return, risk a...
- Marc Faber October 20th Bloomberg Interview
- Capitalism Is Dead... Long Live Capitalism
- Warren Buffett Bets On America... Finally
- Central Banks Can't Target Asset Prices; Reversion...
- Marc Faber Interview
- Mutlimedia Rundown
- Massive Captial Injections and Partial Nationaliza...
- Congratulations to Paul Krugman
- Can Governments Actually Afford to Back Their Bank...
- Are We Facing 1929 Or 1873?
- Time To Invest
- Added to Watch List: Diageo (DEO)
- Miscellaneous Articles for the Wost Week Ever
- Energy & Infrastructure Bet Blows Up... At Least F...
- Betting On Hedge Funds Can Be Lethal To Your Life
- Don't Expect The Stock Market To Do Well
- David Einhorn's Greenlight Capital 3Q2008 Sharehol...
- Iceland Halts Stock Exchange Until Next Week... Se...
- Rate Cuts Are a Mistake
- Purchase: Puget Energy (PSD) - Merger Arbitrage
- Federal Reserve Significantly Weakening Its Balanc...
- John Hussman Turns Moderately Bullish
- Round-up of Some Key Events
- Michael Page on Why Marking to Market Needs to be ...
- I Am Toning Down My Disagreement With Buffett
- How is BRIC doing? Not too well.
- What's Happening With Wachovia?
- Articles of Potential Interest
- Sold: S&P/TSX 60 Bear Plus ETF (TSX: HXD)... Good ...
- Toronto Real Estate Starts Correction
- How Come No One Is Blaming The Investors?
- Is Buffett Wrong?
- Mark-to-Market Accounting Turning a "Large Problem...
- Charts of Some Key Items
- Those Talking Depression Need to Make Their Case C...
- MBIA Sues Countrywide Over HELOC/CES Insurance
- London Going Down...Don't Give Up Your Life Over S...
- World Income Inequality
- Bailout Bill Will Likely Pass... Democrats Betting...
- SEC and FASB Relax Fair-value Accounting Rules
- ▼ October (63)
Popular Posts (last 30 days)
( update Mar 5: Replaced the video with the list version which lists all the videos and added a URL link in case embedded video doesn't...
American Consumer Debt Since consumer spending is a huge driver of American GDP (almost 70% of GDP), it's a big deal for any inves...
I don't really agree with many of Charlie Munger's political, and some business and economic, views, but the thing I love about him ...
2016 You Say? Last time I did a recap, which is sort of when I stopped blogging and seriously investing, was in 2011. Seems like a long ...
The Virgin America-Alaska Airlines merger closed successfully and I was cashed out on December 16th. This is one of those deals that seemed ...
abitibi (ABY/A.TO) AbitibiBowater (ABH) ABN-Amro (ABN) Addax Petroleum (TSX: AXC) Africa Aggreko (LSE: AGK) agriculture AIG Alliance Semiconductor (PK: ALSC) alternative assets Amazon (AMZN) Ambac (ABK) Anadarko Petroleum (APC) Andy Xie Apple (AAPL) Asia Aspen Exploration (OTC: ASPN) Atlas Mara (LSE: ATMA) Australia and New Zealand Bank of America Barnes and Noble (BKS) Bear Stearns (BSC) Beazer Homes (BZH) Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) ben Benjamin Graham Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) Bill Miller Bitcoin bonds and credit instruments book industry BOOK SUMMARY BP brands Brazil Britain BRK.B) Bruce Berkowitz Bruce Greenwald business analysis business culture BYD (HK: 1211) Cal-Maine (CALM) Canada capitalism career celestica (CLS) Charles Brandes Charles de Vaulx Charlie Munger Chesapeake (CHK) China Chris Anderson Clarus (PK: CLRS) Comdisco (OTC: CDCO) commentary commodities communications Compass Minerals (CMP) contrarian corporate accounting corporate governance corporate law corporate strategy crime currencies cyclicals David Einhorn David Rosenberg Dean Foods (DF) deflation delta financial (DFC) demographics Diagoe (DEO) digital economy dividends Don Coxe Dubai Dynegy (DYN) Eastman Kodak (EK) economics econopolitics education Edward Lampert electric vehicles emerging markets En Pointe Technologies (ENPT) energy Energy East (EAS) Enron entrepreneurship Europe executive compensation Expedia (EXPE) Facebook (FB) fair-value accounting financials Fitbit (FIT) Fording Canadian Coal Trust (FDG; TSX: FDG.UN) forestry Foundry (FDRY) Francis Chou fundamental analysis Gary Shilling GenOn (GEN) Geoff Gannon George Soros global Globaltrans (LSE: GLTR) gold Goldman Sachs Google government Great Depression great investors guest-tek (GTK.TO) harmony (HMY) healthcare hedge funds Howard Marks Hugh Hendry humour Icahn Enterprises (IEP) Iceland India Ingram Micro (IM) insightful institutional investing interesting investing track record investment evaluation investment plan investment psychology investment strategy Jaclyn (JLN) Jae Jun James Montier Jamie Dimon Japan Jared Diamond jds uniphase (JDSU; JDS.TO) Jean-Marie Eveillard Jeremy Grantham Jim Chanos Jim Grant Jim Rogers John Hussman John Mauldin John Paulson John Templeton Kanaden (8081) Kenneth Cole Productions (KCP) Keyence (6861) Khan Resources (KRI.TO) Krishnamurthy 'Nandu' Narayanan Latin America Lehman Brothers Lexmark (LXK) Li Lu liquidation Live Nation (LYV) Lloyd Blankfein Louis-Vincent Gave Magic Software (MGIC) Malcolm Gladwell management Manitoba Telecom Services (TSX: MBT) Marc Faber Mark Zuckerberg market valuation marketing Martin Whitman Mathstar (PK: MATH) Matt Levine MBIA (MBI) media Mega Brands (TSX: MB) menu mergers and acquisitions Michael Lewis Michael Pettis Miscellaneous mobile devices Mohnish Pabrai monoline bond insurers Monsanto (MON) Montpelier Re (MRH) Motors Liquidation Trust (MTLQU) name Nassim Nicholas Taleb Netflix (NFLX) new york times (NYT) Newbie Thoughts newspapers newsprint Nokia (NOK) North Korea opinion origin owens corning (OC; OCWAZ.PK) Paul Desmaris Paul Krugman Penn National Gaming (PENN) personal finance Peter Thiel Phil Falcone politics portfolio performance portfolio transactions Prem Watsa Priszm Income Fund (TSX: QSR.UN) private equity Puget Energy (PSD) Pulte Homes (PHM; PHA) Raj Rajaratnam's Galleon Ray Dalio real estate Reed Hastings reference retail industry revlon (REV) Richard Branson Robert Prechter Russell Napier Russia Sam Zell Sears Holdings (SHLD) Seiko (TSE: 8580) Seth Klarman shareholder rights shoe pavilion (SHOE) social media Southwestern (SWG.TO) spectrum brands (SPC) sports Sprott Molybdenum (TSX: MLY) St. Joe Company (JOE) Staples (SPLS) Stephen Jarislowsky Stephen Roach Steve Jobs Sunday Spectacle Suruga (1880) Syngenta (SYT) Takefuji (8564) Talisman Energy (TLM) tax tech cyclicals technology Ted Turner The Year That Was Thornburg Mortgage (TMA; TMA-E) Tim McElvaine timber Todd Combs Toronto TorStar (TS.B) tourism Toyota Industries (6201) traders transportation Tribune (TRB) turtle Turtle Awards useful USG (USG) Verenex Energy (TSX: VNX) Virgin America (VA) Walter Schloss Warren Buffett watch list actions WikiLeaks William Ackman year-end review yen carry-trade
About This Blog
An investment blog chronicling a slow-moving turtle's attempt at gaining financial independence. Mostly contrarian investing with value-investing tilt and influenced by macroeconomics. Feel free to visit my non-investment blog describing my life and thoughts.
- Sivaram Velauthapillai