Anyone listen to podcasts/audiobooks/etc on their commute?

I commute to work by car now, with 45 min to 1 hour trips each way, so I was thinking of listening to investment/business news/etc audio broadcasts during the drive. I used to commute by public transportation before and I used to spend my time reading, which was very invaluable to me (a lot of the blog entries and my investment ideas are due to that time.) But, now that I have to drive a car, I want to utilize the time so I have a question for all of you that commute (note that the following applies even if you commute by public transportation while listening to audio):

Do any of you listen to any worthwhile investment (or business) audio broadcasts on your ride to work or school? I'm thinking of regular podcasts, audiobooks, and things like that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Even if it costs some money, I don't mind paying for a regular broadcast subscription of some sort. The obvious answer is a radio station of some sort but (i) I haven't found any that are good, and (ii) they don't give you the ability to skip material one is not interested in.

Right now, I'm thinking of audiobooks (kind of expensive if you buy a lot and won't absorb as much info as reading but an obvious choice), Audible news sources (such as New York Times and the Wall Street Journal), and audio edition of The Economist (kind of expensive but has professional audio and decent length (around 6 hours of audio per week.) Anyone have any experience with these (especially the Audible version of WSJ or NYT? I'm not sure if they mostly cover general news??)

Comments

  1. I listen to S&A podcast, DH Unplugged, the invisible hand, disciplined investor, and barrons.  For comic relief, I listen to No Agenda.  Usually blaming Goldman Sachs for everything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the NPR Planet Money podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my friends downloads stuff from his town library database. Not sure if libraries in Canada have that sort of infrastructure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Bloomberg podcasts since they also include some different views and opinions. I like "taking stock" with pimm foxx. He usually gets some analysts that are not always mainstream...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem is that once you start there are a lot of different ones and you will end up with a back catalogue
    Bloomberg is ok but very US orientated
    NPR is ok but they go on and on
    Motley Fool is interesting as is Value line Podcast
    LSE interesting too and more "World-view"
    Russ Roberts at econ talk as well - despite his obvious bias
    Peterson Institute
    Royal Academy (a bit off topic)
    it goes on and on

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.wealthtrack.com podcasts are awesome - Jeremy Grantham, Bill Gross and Bob Rodriguez etc on their thoughts about investing and the market.

    Geoff Gannon's podcasts are also great to listen to - you should find them on podfeed.net if you search for it.

    I also love audio books but I download them from sources like w. w. w. a .v . a . x . h. o. m. e. . w. s.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Thoughts on the stock market - March 2020

Warren Buffett's Evolution and his Three Investment Styles

"The Markets They Are A-Changin'"